You might say it all began when Dick Tuttle, found himself successful in developing a prime piece of property in Indianapolis (Willowbrook Golf Club). The experiences of golf course development followed him to Syracuse, Indiana and Lake Wawasee. In 1924, he and his son Carl Tuttle formed a partnership with a Mr. Roy Brown, a prominent farmer to the area. Tuttles were to provide the financials and Brown the land. The course was built on 125 acres of the Brown farm. The 1870's barn on the property served as maintenance and cart barn for many years to follow.
Carl Tuttle moved north in 1927 to help with and supervise the building of South Shore. Much of the early equipment was horse-drawn. Tuttle planted pine trees along the entire property line of State Rd 13. Also, many pines were in huge evidence throughout the golf property as definition and sand bunkering prevailed. The actual formal opening of South Shore GC was held in the spring of 1932.
Former great PGA touring professional Tommy Armour brought a foursome to play in the opening tourney. He was one of the best and could be compared to the likes of Nicklaus and Palmer of todays golf heros. Armour shot back to back 33’s for a nice round of 66, a course record that stood for many years.
In December of 1942, the State Highway Department altered State Road 13 and cut through a portion of the golf course. By February of that same year, traffic was using the “new” section of road and “old” State Road 13 became the present South Shore Road. It was during this time that Carl Tuttle bought Roy Brown’s share of the partnership and moved to the lake permanently. In 1946, Tuttle lost his life in a sailboat accident on Wawasee and Blanche Mason stepped in to take over the managerial duties. Mrs. Mason was Tuttle’s mother-in-law. During those years from 1929 to 1945, Bruce Wilcox served as golf professional. Beginning 1946, Red Stewart served as pro and was followed by Charlie Harter.
Blanche Mason continued many of the activities that had made South Shore such a popular place to play and socialize. Main stay items certainly had to be the One Club tournament until her retirement in 1953. Guy Rarig, the former greenskeeper served as manager for a few years after Mason’s departure. Following Rarig as manager, was Rarig was followed by George Lamb. James Connolly and his wife Dorothy ran South Shore for 9 years with Charlie Pace as the golf professional.
In 1971 another generation of Tuttle’s came to South Shore, as Tom Tuttle, son of Carl Tuttle, became owner/manager. Many improvements such as enlarging the clubhouse, open air pavilion (seats 400+) company picnics, corporate events became evident. A practice facility was soon added and a “big hit” was the South Shore Sunday Brunch. As many as 750 people have attended on Mother’s Day alone.
In 1992 South Shore had a setback due to a fire. Reconstruction began most immediately and was reopened in 1993 for play. In 1998 the property was sold to R. Miller. Miller ushered the golf course until 2000, when Darrell Krugman, the golf professional for both Tuttle and Miller, purchased the golf course package.
Five years later in October of 2005, Darrell Krugman lost his life in a tragic auto accident while drivng to the club grounds. Darrell will be memorialized for all the wonderful things he did for the membership and guests at South Shore as well as the community of Syracuse,IN. A wonderful professional person that always seeked to 'give more than ever want back'. The Krugman family intend to manage South Shore for the upcoming 2006 golfing season.